By Étienne Balibar
John Locke’s foundational position within the heritage of British empiricism and liberal political concept is easily confirmed. So, in what experience can Locke be thought of a latest eu thinker? id and distinction argues for reassessing this canonical determine. heavily analyzing the "treatise on identity" extra to the second one version of An Essay bearing on Human Understanding, Étienne Balibar demonstrates Locke’s position within the formation of 2 thoughts imperative to the metaphysics of the subject—consciousness and the self—and the advanced philosophical, felony, ethical and political nature of his terms.
With an accompanying essay by means of Stella Sandford, situating Balibar’s examining of Locke within the heritage of the reception of the Essay and inside Balibar’s different writings on "the subject," Identity and Difference rethinks an important second within the historical past of Western philosophy.
Read Online or Download Identity And Difference: John Locke And The Invention Of Consciousness PDF
Similar philosophy books
Herbert Marcuse, Erich Fromm, Max Horkheimer, Franz Neumann, Theodor Adorno, Leo Lowenthal—the influence of the Frankfurt university at the sociological, political, and cultural considered the 20 th century has been profound. The Dialectical mind's eye is a massive background of this huge cultural and highbrow firm in the course of its early years in Germany and within the usa.
Glossy study has printed the booklet of alterations to be a royal divination handbook of the Zhou country (500-100 BC). This new translation synthesizes the result of smooth research, proposing the paintings in its historic context. the 1st ebook to render unique chinese language rhymes into rhymed English.
This quantity establishes Nietzsche’s significance as a political thinker. The creation and eighteen chapters conceal Nietzsche’s personal political idea, its relation to ethics and morality, his method, the old context, and his impression on next inspiration. The publication is key interpreting for someone considering Nietzsche, political philosophy, and the heritage of political principles.
- D'un ton guerrier en philosophie
- Hannah Arendt: Key Concepts
- The Conditions of Hospitality: Ethics, Politics, and Aesthetics on the Threshold of the Possible (Perspectives in Continental Philosophy)
- Culture, Class, and Critical Theory: Between Bourdieu and the Frankfurt School
- New Approaches to Curriculum as Phenomenological Text: Continental Philosophy and Ontological Inquiry
- Our Oriental Heritage (The Story of Civilization, Volume 1)
Additional resources for Identity And Difference: John Locke And The Invention Of Consciousness
So even if it were true (which it is not) that every action necessarily has attitudinal conditions among its antecedent causes, it might nonetheless be alien forces alone which bring it about that a person performs an action. The assertion that someone has performed an action entails that his movements occurred under his guidance, but not that he was able to keep himself from guiding his movements as he did. There are occasions when we act against or independently of our wills. On other occasions, the guiding principle of our movements is one to which we are not merely resigned; rather, we have embraced it as our own.
19. This conclusion is not new. It was clearly stated by G. E. M. Anscombe, Intention (Oxford: Blackwell, 1959), §§23–26. ” 3 Shooting, Killing and Dying Jonathan Bennett I There was a duel at dawn between A and B. A shot B, who lingered on until dusk of that day, and then died of his bullet-wound. Certain background conditions are satisfied (it doesn’t matter now what they are) which make it right to say not just that A caused B’s death but that he killed him. So, A shot B and killed him. This seems to be structurally different from “A shot B and he kicked him,” but what is this structural difference?
And obviously the longer descriptions entail many of the shorter ones. 19 When we infer that he stopped his car from the fact that by pressing a pedal a man caused his automobile to come to a stop, we do not transfer agency from one event to another, or infer that the man was agent not only of one action but of two. We may indeed extend responsibility or liability for an action to responsibility or liability for its consequences, but this we do, not by saddling the agent with a new action, but by pointing out that his original action had those results.